Thursday, January 25, 2007

THURSDAY XIII:2 - Favorite Authors and Books


These are authors that have more than one book or play that I constantly refer to or re-read:


1. G-d (and various others) - The Bible

2. Sir Winston Spencer Churchill - My Early Life

3. P. G. Wodehouse - Everything

4. A.A. Milne - When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six

5. Robert Hardy - The Social and Military History of the Long Bow

6. Jane Austen - Everything especially, Sense and Sensibility

7. Dorothy L. Sayers - Everything especially, The Daughter of Time

8. Lindsey Davis - Everything (Detective series based in ancient Rome)

9. J.R. Rowling - The Harry Potter series

10. Charles Dickens - Everything especially, A Tale of Two Cities

11. Homer- The Iliad and the Odyssey

12. William Shakespeare - Anything, especially Hamlet and the histories

13. Lewis Carroll - Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lovely list......my highschool intern was in my fifth grade class a few years ago. She has been telling my students about our forays into Shakespeare when she was in my class. I usually complete Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, and Macbeth with them. Sometimes we read A Midsummer Nights Dream. I have wonderful play-versions that are on middle school level.

The Tour Marm said...

Thanks so much for your comment; it has struck a chord with me.

As you know this site is dedicated to Educational Student Travel and my main objective is to make teachers aware of new on-site venues and programs which can illuminate their respective teaching plans and curricula.

The Folger Shakespeare Library and Theatre is a marvelous place with an active educational department. Each year they sponsor a children's Shakespeare Festival for elementary schools in the DC/MD/VA.

I design and conduct elementary school programs that have included a workshop on their Elizabethan stage. The students act out scenes from the very plays you mentioned, with HRM Queen Elizabeth I in attendence making suggestions and giving encouragement!

If anyone is interested their URL is: http://www.folger.edu/index.cfm

Tour Marm