Saturday, January 20, 2007

What's in a Name?




"What's in a name?


That which we call a rose


By any other word would smell as sweet."


From Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)





Obviously,
Juliet never had to come up with a title for her blog!

For years I have been known to my friends and colleagues as, The Tourgoddess, but when I first used that title for this blog (on another blog service) I was cautioned by some friends that it could offend some people who were uncomfortable dealing with a deity - seriously! But I'm stubborn and I went ahead and called it, The Educational Tourgoddess, anyway.

Imagine my surprise when I was visited by a host of pantheists as well as unwanted offers for dates! We were all a bit disappointed.

Time to change the title and service!

However, I wanted to keep the spirit of someone dedicated to educational travel and I gazed over at the illustration that represents me and thought, Aha! Tourmistress!

Do I need to describe the sort of visitors who were attracted by, mistress?

Time to change the title! (I liked this service!)

Now it was head scratching time. Almost every other word or phrase I came up with had either a double entendre attached to it or was already in use.

Except one.

You may have noticed that I prefer vintage illustrations and my 'portrait' is definitely a century old (however, I'm not); I remembered a wonderfully old-fashioned term for a teacher: schoolmarm! Marm! It seemed so right since it related to those who taught in one room schoolhouses. Many of my lessons are within the confines of a bus; isn't that like a one room schoolhouse? I had visions of the Little House on the Prairie schoolhouse being transported at 55mph down the interstate!

So I got busy and Yahoo'd (my personal preference) and Googled and Asked (Hey, what happened to Jeeves?) and Dogpiled, but marm wasn't currently in pop culture or associated with any double entendres that I could see. It's still a respectable word!

I made the decision to separate the two words since Tourmarm looked a bit awkward.

And now,

Drumroll.....Ta Dum!

Welcome to the final christening:

The Educational Tour Marm!




No comments: